Wednesday, July 23, 2008

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLA!

July 21, 2008

So I didn't want to get anyone hopes up again like I did last time so I didnt say anything last week but GUESS WHAT!!! Eliseo got baptized yesterday! He's one of the guys that we've been teaching that we tracted into a month ago! We were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy. Sister Dastrup and I were grinning ear to ear like two giddy school girls in a candy store! We looked like such dorks but we couldn't help ourselves. It was uncontrollable! It was the BEST baptism I have ever been to in my entire life!
Ok first of all this WEEK was one heck of a battle with Satan! Eliseo was really scared and nervous and was having a bunch of doubts about himself and not being ready and all these different things but by Thursday we knelt down with him and prayed and discussed a lot about the Atonement and that baptism was a necesary step for us to apply that Atonement in our lives and then we told him he needed to come to the baptism of Javier, one of the Elders' investigators, that night. He came and he told us that he felt so calm and peaceful and now that he knew that it wasn't this big thing to be scared of he told us he was ready to be baptized on Sunday. So the rest of the week was spent teaching him as much as we could before his baptism on Sunday.
On top of his concerns, because the economy is so bad right now, the guy who owns their house had to file for bankruptcy(??? I don't know how to spell that) and so they were looking for a new place to live on top of other problems so they didn't want to stay at the house anymore so Saturday night we had no idea where they were going to stay so that made Sis. Dastrup and I nervous for church the next day because Satan's really tricky! But Saturday, we taught them at the park with the Ibarra's, he was baptized 2 months ago and was the one who baptized Eliseo. It was so awesome to see them teach the guys and then help Eliseo by practicing the baptism with him. We asked Oscar and Miguel if they wanted to practice for when they get baptized (we havent set a date for them yet) and they told us in all seriousness "No, I think we got down" like they were planning on getting baptized all along. They are all so funny!
Well Sunday came around and none of the Guys came to church and we couldnt get ahold of any of them after the first time we talked to Eliseo to make sure he was coming. Finally we got a hold of them and they agreed to meet us at the church. They got there at 12:50 and we talked and asked him if he still wanted to be baptized that night. He said yes so we sat through the English ward's sacrament meeting, talked a little more about the Atonement and then finalized everything for the evening. It was a miracle in itself how it all worked out!


So now to the baptism. It was SO AWESOME! As I said before, Sister Dastrup and I couldn't stop smiling! First of all, Martin, one of the Less Actives who we have been teaching and has been starting to come back to church in the last month, spoke for a minute on baptism. He was so funny and so excited to give the talk and then he sat down after and said "I was so scared, everyone was looking at me!" and then it was time for the baptism. Eliseo was first (the Elders had a baptism too) and they got themselves situated like they had practiced and then Hno. Ibarra said the baptism prayer and then performed the baptism. It was the COOLEST baptism I have ever seen. It was done with such love and care and gentleness I have ever seen! Jose slowly lowered Eliseo into the water and made sure he did it right the fist time and he gently rose him out of the water. When Eliseo came up, he rubbed his hands all over his hair and face. You could tell he was soaking it all in and so happy! He had that light he wanted from day one! Then Sister Dastrup and I sang "I know that my Redeemer Lives" and the Holy Ghost and Welcome to the ward was done. It was so awesome.
Well, I'm out of library time, I wish i wasnt but I want to make sure this doesnt get cut off! I'll try and finish up in the letter! Anyway, as always I love you all so much and I am so grateful for all you do for me. Keep smiling and sharing the light we have with the world!
Love Always,
Hna Bradfield

No comments: